The TPI is dedicated to protecting the livelihoods of professionals in the Tattoo
& Piercing Industry
Why should I join?
Initially this Union was formed to protect our industry from the attempts that were being made by an organisation called HABIA (Hair & Beauty Industries Authority) and the QCA (Qualifications Curriculum Authority) to introduce NOS (National Occupational Standards) for the Tattoo & Piercing industry.
With a fantastic show of initiative, strength and support, many tattooists and piercers from across the UK got together to form the TPI Union (Tattoo & Piercing Industries Union) and made the impossible happen.
Not only have we beaten all the odds and turned the wolf away from the door, but we have got the largest amount of tattooists and piercers talking to each other and supporting each other than ever before!
Far from being able to sit back and pat ourselves on the back, we now have the difficult job of filling the void that HABIA have left. They had spotted a loophole that is there ready to be exploited. If we don’t close it and protect ourselves now, someone else will very soon try again.
Who knows… next time we may not be so successful.
So, among a lot of other things, we are setting our own standards. Standards that most of us already work to but that are not recognised by the authorities or the public. Standards that are devised and written by those that know what they should be and who work with them on a daily basis. Standards that are comprehensible, workable and effective, that will become national and uniform. No exceptions. It will not matter which town or county you are in. Which side of the ring road you are. If you are open for business it will be because you have met the standards properly enforced by the Environmental Health Departments and created by the TPI.
If you are not already a member, join up now. Get involved with protecting your industry.
If you are a member already then thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you for helping, supporting, trusting and having faith. We could not have done it without you.
We sincerely hope you continue to be a member and continue to spread the word to those who have yet to join.
Remember, the beauty of a union is that together we are a force to be reckoned with and can protect ourselves, each other and our industry from any influence or threat that may come along, whether to just one of us or as a whole industry, while still retaining our individuality as artists, our independence of being our own bosses or studio owners and our freedom of speech, while having to answer to no-one.
One person, one vote. Every voice is not only heard but more importantly, listened to.
Assuring you our best intentions at all times, TPI.
The overall aims of the TPI are:
- to become the recognised association representing the individual TPI workers
- to make sure TPI workers have a voice and open a dialogue with other professional
groups within the industry
- to educate and inform each other on issues specific to our profession
- to raise standards in the industry through information, discussion and persuasion
- to develop a network of TPI across the industry who can offer their services
Join the TPIU and gain access to the following services:
- tax advice and representation
- discounted personal pensions
- personally tailored mortgages
- representation and advice when things go wrong at work
- free legal advice and representation on work issues
- free legal advice on non-work issues
- make your last will and testament through GMB solicitors at no charge
- personally tailored insurance packages covering issues specific to our industry such as public liability
* All members of the TPI will become members of the GMB Union