Annual General Meeting – 28 Nov 2016 – Karl Marx Library

The Annual General Meeting is coming up on 28 November 2016. 12 noon at the Karl Marx Library, 37A Clerkenwell Green, London EC1R 0DU.
It would be great to see as many members as possible this year.
Remember, this is your opportunity to meet the committee and air your views.
Invitations are being posted out to members so we hope to see you there!

Current Committee members are:
President: Rick Stevens,
Vice President: Marcus Henderson,
Secretary: Chris Bloomfield
Press Officer: Chic Child
Equalities officer & Social Media Monitor: Cilla North

First Aid Training Course

The TPIU are putting on a First Aid training course on 9.5.2016.
It will be near Sittingbourne Kent (venue tbc).
The cost will be £80 for non members and £70 for members
For further information and bookings please email us at: info@tpiu.org.uk (Please put First Aid Course in the subject box)

TPIU Meeting 11th April 2016 – GMB Euston

Minutes from TPIU Meeting 11th April 2016 – GMB Euston.

1. Union Funds report.

We were reminded that we receive only 10p in every £1 of union subs and only when the accounts are completed precisely to GMB rules, which has meant the TPIU not being paid in the past. This is an ongoing issue. The good news is we are being paid the four quarters we are owed, thanks to Rick’s efforts (although it’s not in our account as yet). Rick and Marcus have agreed to have another meeting at GMB nearer the end of the month, to give it more time. It was suggested we have more frequent statements and that it would be excellent to have them available online. Rick to email Julie Adamson to see how things are progressing.

2. Website. 

Chic has agreed to look after the website on a permanent basis. He will change the main page to highlight future meetings.

3. 4 Star Rating Scheme.

We discussed peoples experiences but there hasn’t been much of interest or uptake of this voluntary scheme so information is limited. What little feedback there is included one EHO mistakenly thinking it was to describe artistic ability, not hygiene…. Are the public not getting the message as the scheme wasn’t well publicised? Do the CIEH communicate enough? It was agreed we have an end of year review and see if take up is better and if there is more feedback.

4. Accredited Training.

It’s on it’s way! Should be available to members late summer this year based on CPD (Continuous Professional Development) and will be industry specific and CIEH accredited. This approved modular training will, of course, be in addition to an apprenticeship.

5. Conwy Bylaw consultation.

We have been in contact with Conwy regarding their bylaw update and had issues with the suggestion to use sterile ink, which as we know is not possible. They have sidestepped our request to not include ‘sterile ink’, so we have suggested we ask Alan Beswick to either respond directly or give an opinion on or off the record. Marcus to contact him.

6. Teleconference.

It was suggested we could use GMB facilities. Rick has offered to buy the necessary equipment to facilitate this.

7. Next meeting.

Suggested date is 11th July in Kent to catch up before the AGM in September.

Have your say

If you have any issues to discuss or projects that you would like to put forward to us, then we’re all ears!
Remember this Union was created for you, the workers within the industry, and you all have a voice, an opinion and ideas.
We’re always happy to hear from you, so don’t be shy, contact us here: info@tpiu.org.uk

You can also contact us via Facebook and Twitter

Committee Meeting Minutes – 15 February 2016

1. Waiting (again) for The GMB to tell us how we can get the money owed to us.
Rick has contacted Linda and is waiting for a response.

2. We have agreed to have at least two face to face meetings a year to enable a better exchange of ideas and comments.

3. There are some issues regarding the 4 Star rating scheme. Namely there terms & conditions makes it difficult for part time workers and apprentices to operate. We plan to contact Julie Barratt (CIEH Wales) to discuss these and other problems with her.

4. Continuing problems with membership issues and payments from GMB.
Chris and Rick will schedule a meeting at Hendon.

5. TPIU membership certificates to be sent out on 01/12/16.

6. Chic to put note on web site notifying members that it is there responsibility to update the GMB about any change of address etc.

7. Any members with any issues or projects that the think the TPIU should be getting involved with please forward to the committee.

8. Next first Aid course is scheduled for April (Dates to follow)

9. Cilla to contact Rhonda Valley EHO re: assisting them in changes to by-laws.

10. Rick to follow up on inquiry from a tv production company to see what they propose and to report back to the committee.

Other Business

1. It was decided that it is not for the Union to encourage or discourage members from taking Treatment Insurance.

2. Chris proposed that he joins the CIEH. As a member of the same body that EHO’s belong to, this may assist in future cooperation.

3. Next meeting will be in London, in April, either 11th/12th or 25th. (Date to be confirmed)

Minutes from Committee Meeting – 16 November 2015

• Should the TPI except membership from a cosmetic only tattooist?
The meeting decided unanimously that only mainstream tattooists are welcome as members. However, every case will be taken on its merits.
The main concern in this case was the use of anaesthetics together with no permanent address for the business.

• New membership certificates are at the printers and should be posted this week.
If any member does not receive the certificate please contact the number on the website.

• The TPI have been contacted by various large business concerns who are trying to syndicate and franchise tattoo and piercing studios.
They were told franchising is not possible, we are not interested, the industry isn’t interested and to go away and have nothing to do us in the future.

• The Welsh assembly are changing tattooing and piercing to licensing in the near future.
The Welsh based CIH four star rating scale, partially supported by TPI is been taken up by many councils across the UK. We would like to hear members feedback as to how the scheme is working, so we can steer it in a more professional, industry based direction for the future.

• It is hoped the next National TPIU meeting will be in London on Monday 16 February 2016.
However, this will depend on venue availability and the commitment of members to travel to London.

• Members are advised to comment on the TPI Facebook page and via the TPI website as to their ability to attend the meeting.